Friday, August 28, 2009

Stage I?

Yesterday I went to Mercy in Baltimore for another endoscopic ultrasound. I learned my lesson from the first one being awake, this time I was knocked out and slept through the entire procedure. The only adverse reaction was having to take a massive dump after the procedure. Other than that it was nothing.

I spoke to the doctor who did the ultrasound and he said things looked very good. He said that the tumor near my rectum seemed quite small, was no longer outside of the colon wall and that there didn't seem to be any lymph nodes involved. I asked the doctor what stage he thought this would put me at and he said "Stage I"!

Of course, he qualified it by saying "I might be wrong." But assuming he's not, Stage I is awesome!

My original staging was Stage 4.

Basically, I've gone from an 8% chance of living five years to greater than a 95% chance.

Even though it still sounds weird to put the next five years of your life in those terms, it still feels great to know I'm getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment